However, as the sky was tightly covered with clouds, the Reinsehlen airfield could not be localised.
In 1946, the premises were turned into refugee camps für people from the East German areas. During 4 years as a refugee camp from 1946 to 1950, approximately 1,500 people lived there on average, where this was one of the greatest institutions of its kind in Northern Germany. In addition, a hospital with about 150 beds was established in the former officers' quarters.
After the refugee camp was closed in 1950, the British and Canadian forces used the area under the name "Reinsehlen Camp" as starting point and base camp for tank military excercises in the Lueneburg Heath. As Germany was reunited in 1990, the British forces left Camp Reinsehlen in 1994.
After they left, renaturalization work started in the area to repair the substantial damage to the environment.
There were several concepts for civil use. A group of artists from Schneverdingen suggested the establishment a peace park as an Expo 2000 project. This plan as well as other ideas for a business park were dismissed.
Today the Alfred Toepfer Akademie für Naturschutz and our hotel restaurant share one of the former military buildings on the area.
(This text was originally composed in German language and as such based on the text Camp Reinsehlen (and on the English version "Reinsehlen Camp") from the free encyclopedia Wikipedia and is available under the double licence Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported (short version (de).
The List of authors is available in Wikipedia.